I’m putting WHAT on my baby?
Do you truly know what you’re putting on your precious baby’s skin? An organ that will absorb elements right into the bloodstream and inside developing cells?
When I first became a mother, I held absolute faith in ‘trusted’ brands and some brands were even given to us by the midwives and hospitals to use in the home. They were marked as ‘safe’ ‘paraben free’ and ‘trusted by hospitals – I didn’t feel the need to research….. Here’s a naïve me, 3 days into motherhood, almost 10 years ago…
EPZICOM is one of multiple products containing abacavir. Two other drugs, Diacomit ® (stiripentol – Biocodex) and Epidiolex ® (cannabidiol – GW Pharmaceuticals) were FDA approved in 2018 for DS. Throat swab and serum samples were taken from six symptomatic mumps cases and from 13 family contacts Kamagra 100mg preço. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2006 Feb; 50(2): 819–21 Wexler HM, Engel AE, Glass D, et al.
The scans were interpreted based on visual appearance only. Furthermore, National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s clinical practice guideline on “Breast cancer” (Version 6. There is limited information regarding Tetracycline (oral) Structure in the drug label kilde. A new method of Dexycu administration into the capsular bag facilitates easier and more reliable placement with equivalent anti-inflammatory efficacy.
Fast forward through a lot of research, a realisation that the industry cares much more for money than it does for health…. I’ve broken it down clear as day using two independent resources – www.ewg.org and The Chemical Maze App.
Let’s take a look at a common store bought Baby Body Wash – amongst other things, just a snapshot of the ingredients shows it contains Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate, Parfum and Sodium Hydroxide.
- Sodium Hydroxide is a highly caustic and reactive inorganic base. According to ewg.org, there are concerns with organ system toxicity (non-reproductive) as well as irritation to the skin, eyes, or lungs. It is recommended to AVOID or MINIMIZE skin exposure as an official recommendation from an industry safety panel (Cosmetic Ingredient Review, CIR) yet we are putting this in the bathwater our babies are sitting in!!
- PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate is an ethoxylated sorbitan monoester of Lauric Acid (q.v.) with an average of 80 moles of ethylene oxide. It is often highly contaminated with Ethylene Oxide (scores the highest possible toxicity score of 10) and 1-4 Dioxane (scores 8 out of 10) and there is strong evidence from the CIR Assessments that it’s a human skin toxicant or allergen as well as other concerns over organ system toxicity (non- reproductive).
- Parfum is undisclosed fragrance. It can be derived synthetically. If it were from essential oils (nature’s aroma) even just a tiny bit (!) you can be sure that would be labelled and advertised as such! So we don’t even know what this fragrance with potential harmful effects is that we are bathing our babies in.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine has been shown by the Cosmetics Ingredient Review (CIR) that it can cause sensitization toxicity or allergies. It is also suspected to be an environmental toxin – so every time you pull that plug, you’re also adding toxins into the water supply and contributing to ecotoxicity.
What do I use in my home?
My ‘babies’ are a little older now, and sadly my journey to waking up is too recent to have made fully informed decisions about my babies’ bodies. I used a number of products I didn’t think to (or know how to) research. I read the front of the labels rather than the actual ingredients, and fell into many marketing traps.
More recently, we have made a lot of our own products using doTERRA essential oils and basic non-toxic ingredients such as Castile Soap, Epsom Salts and pure carrier oils. This week doTERRA released their Baby Range with their Hair & Body Wash, Baby Lotion (I’m a baby right? Feels so good!) and Diaper Rash cream (I’m happy to say we’re past that stage!) They smell divine and the wash and lotion are the absolute perfect addition to our bathroom knowing they are truly low-tox as well as produced by a company making such an impact on the planet with their Co-Impact Sourcing model – supporting the farmers and growers for long term sustainable, safe, hygienic living.
Here’s a comparison with doTERRA’s new Baby Hair & Body Wash using data from ewg.org and The Chemical Maze:
And a snapshot of the Baby Lotions:
When it comes to essential oils (and not much else) I’m an avid ‘DIYer’ so here are some other simple recipes you could use for your baby :
- Easy peasy DIY baby wipes being made here with #middlemunchkin:
In our low-tox classes we teach how simple and easy it is to research what’s in your products. Sometime companies make it hard for us by not disclosing their ingredients (due to formulation protection they don’t have – their recipes are more worthy of protection than our kids’ health apparently!
For the comparisons above I’ve used two independent resources to analyse the ingredients: www.ewg.org (Environmental Working Group) and The Chemical Maze app. These are both fantastic, easy to follow resources for anyone looking for the truth and transparency in what we are putting in, on and around our bodies. Their simple grading system means even our children can see straight away if a food or body product is something they want to be using/eating. No these are not affiliate links! These are just what I use almost daily to make sure I know what’s going in on and around mine and my family’s bodies, whether it’s body products or food ingredients.
If you’d like to join our community of REAL, TRUE, PURE essential oil users and lovers with free online education and a members-only community to ask questions and find inspiration on ways to detox your home, detox your life and start using pristine oils for your health, for cleaning, cooking in your body products to support you emotional and physical health… send me a message or go to Buy doTERRA Oils. To include the new baby range in your first order, select ‘International (NFR) Order’ on setup or send me a message and I’ll guide you step by step. If you’ve been introduced to doTERRA by someone else – please go back to them, otherwise send us a message with your health priorities and we will help you get exactly what’s right for you: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keen to learn more?
Watch our ‘Bumps, Babies & Beyond’ webinar series with Neonatal Nurse – Heidi James, Pilates teacher, Sports massage therapist and new Mum Bryony Tilley as well as myself – with heaps of recipes and ideas through the early stages of motherhood:
With love, health, happiness and abundance,